TO Home Page>
When you send
you Dual to us for service, this is what we do (what
is the description for the large chassis Duals - 1219,
The main failures on the 1229 are as follows:
(1) The tone arm clutch pad (part. # 223777)
deteriorates, impairing tone arm lateral motion during
cycling - replace.
(2) The single-multi tone arm height adjustment switch
uses a rubber retainer for positive switching - this
deteriorates causing the tone arm to bind laterally -
(3) The speed selector assembly gets sticky, causing the
idler wheel to have difficulty engaging the motor pulley
(4) Contacts and lead wires in head-shell and cartridge
carrier oxidize, causing signal loss and/or hum - clean.
(5) The start/stop levers get sticky, causing
unresponsiveness, or often the levers will stick in
start position - clean.
(6) The end-of-play trip pawl on the cycling cam becomes
under-damped, causing the machine to "endlessly cycle" -
(7) The large metal lever that goes to the motor power
switch at one end and to a latch near the arm at the
other gets sticky, causing the machine to have
difficulty either starting or stopping motor rotation -
(8) The viscous damping on the cuing fails, causing the
arm to drop like a rock - re-pack with the proper
(9) Motor bearings squeak - open up the motor and oil
both top and bottom bearings with a high speed turbine
(10) Dress the edge of the idler wheel to expose new
rubber for positive contact.
(11) General cleaning of the machine.